Parks Operations Superintendent
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Plans, manages, directs and coordinates the activities of the Parks Operations team, including supervising personnel and parks maintenance activities, coordinating activities with other departments, and assisting the Public Works Director as necessary.|
Interfaces with City employees and contractors under the general direction of the Public Works Director. Supervises Parks Operations Division.
|Duties:||1. Supervises parks maintenance personnel, including the training and motivating employees, assigning and reviewing work, establishing and monitoring employee performance objectives, providing or coordinating staff training, preparing and presenting employee performance evaluations, and making recommendations regarding hiring, terminating and disciplining employees.|
2. Recommends goals and objectives for the Division and assists in the development and implementation of associated policies and procedures.
3. Plans, organizes, and directs maintenance and preparation of parks, athletic fields, facilities, and festivals.
4. Inspects work sites before, during and after completion to ensure satisfactory and thorough workmanship and adherence of staff to safe work practices and directs needed changes or improvement in maintenance performed.
5. Directs and supervises the installation and maintenance of landscape improvements and irrigation systems, including directing and supervising the application of pesticides and fertilizers.
6. Ensures playscapes are inspected for safety compliance and initiates corrective action if necessary.
7. Assists in the preparation of the annual departmental budget, prepares cost estimates and submits justifications for needed staff and equipment.
8. Assists in the planning and implementation of new park construction.
9. Provides quality customer service and responds to and resolves service calls, inquiries and complaints from the public, including on weekends and after-hours if necessary.
10. Coordinates activities with other departments and community groups to facilitate preparations for meetings, special events or emergencies.
11. Other related or unrelated duties as assigned.
|Qualifications:||- Sound working knowledge of parks operations, equipment, and machinery.|
- Ability to motivate and lead others in performing job duties.
- Ability to learn technical and scientific concepts and procedures related to work requirements.
- Sound mechanical skills, with ability to repair machinery and equipment.
- Good communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to effectively and safely operate light trucks, dump trucks, backhoe, tractor with shredder or auger, lawn tractors, trencher, weed eaters, trailers, shop tools, and various hand tools.
- Basic proficiency with operating computer and related software.
- Knowledge of TCEQ Irrigation Rules and Regulations, Consumer Product Safety Commission Guidelines related to Playground Safety and the Texas Department of Agriculture Rules and Regulations related to the application of pesticides and other chemicals.
- Valid Class C Texas driver’s license
- High School Diploma or its equivalent, plus three to five (3-5) years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- TDA Applicators License, CPSI, and Licensed Irrigator
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
- Standing, Walking, Sitting, Repetitive Motion, Carrying, and Crouching/Crawling
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.