Special Events Coordinator
|Salary Range:||$20.14/hr - $23.17/hr, DoE|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Parks & Recreation|
|Description:||Performs highly advanced event coordination work. Work involves updating event website and coordinating large festivals and events for the Parks & Recreation Department. May assist city PIO team in the planning, coordination and promotion of parks and recreation programs. Coordinates, manages and organizes city major events and festivals. May assign and/supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Partners with City Manager’s Office on communications announcements. Performs other related work as required. |
Functions as an individual contributor with respect to public information programs; functions as a planner and coordinator for several festivals and events; must apply a significant degree of initiative and independent judgement; interfaces frequently with City management, City staff and volunteers to present recommendations for web communications and City sponsored events. Primary duty consists of performing work directly related to the general business operations of the City.
|Duties:||1. Coordinates and oversees special event preparation and marketing/promotional activities for the Parks and Recreation Department to include, but not limited to: Pfirecracker Pfestival, Deutschen Pfest, Pfestival of Lights and Christmas Parade, Chili Pfest, Music in the Park, Spring Pfling, Parks and Recreation Month events, Kidfish and other events as assigned.|
2. Organizes ribbon cuttings for new parks and facilities.
3. Serves as liaison to special event volunteers and community organizations.
4. Creates surveys and studies to determine special event program effectiveness and goal achievement.
5. Provide after-action reports and items for city manager to review event efficiency.
6. Creates maps, brochures and items as needed for City events.
7. Leads meetings with community volunteers who serve on event committees.
8. Documents department special events and programs with photography and videography as needed.
9. Develops and maintains Parks and Recreation web pages, website content and social media profiles for the Department.
10. Designs and implements new and/or revised processes that effectively meet the needs of the Department.
11. Assists with budget preparation for special events and marketing initiatives for the Parks and Recreation Department.
12. May plan, assign, train and/or supervise the work of others.
13. Performs related work as assigned.
|Qualifications:||Knowledge and skill in the development and administration of recreation programs and special events. |
Knowledge of policies, and procedures; of news and communication media; of editing and preparing informational material
Ability to use content management tool to design web pages and compose content for the Web including scheduling, testing and updating dynamic web pages for department events.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Ability to handle multiple projects.
Ability to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
Work includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgement with respect to matters of significance.
Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Nextdoor) a plus.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in communications, recreation, business administration, marketing or a related field is preferred.
Three to five years of experience in recreation/event planning and/or communications.
Government and/or municipal experience is preferred.
Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in recreational programs or special events.
Class C Texas Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.