Parks and Recreation Director
|Salary Range:||$74,226.64 - $126,185.82/annual, DoE|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||City of Pflugerville is home to more than 40 miles of hike and bike trails and 45 parks, including two dog parks, through over 1,400 acres of parks, open space, and green belts. The incoming Parks and Recreation Director will oversee planned upgrades in 2019 to three parks and one park under construction by providing administrative direction and supervision to the Parks & Recreation and the Parks Maintenance Departments. This leadership and direction ensures that City parks and recreational facilities/programs serve the communityís needs in an effective, safe, and cost-efficient manner.|
The Parks and Recreation Director directs, plans, manages, and reviews the activities and operations of the Parks &Recreation and the Parks Maintenance Departments including the administration, park planning, recreation services, park maintenance operations, senior, community and youth services.
|Duties:||1. Hire and supervise department staff to ensure effective and efficient operations; assign, schedule, and review work; deliver or provide for work-related training/education; complete performance evaluations; conduct counseling and take disciplinary measures as indicated; and terminate the employment of personnel, as required.|
2. Develop, implement and monitor the progress of capital improvement projects related to Parks & Recreation operations; ensure compliance with mandated standards, codes, and ordinances.
3. Prepare and recommend annual department operating and capital expenditure budget; review and approve departmental expenditures; prepare related reports for City management and City Council.
4. Develop and implement departmental policies and procedures; ensure department personnel comply with City policies and procedures.
5. Administer the community park grant program; identify grant opportunities; write grants; implement and monitor grant provisions.
6. Develop recreational programs that serve community needs; research recreational needs of the public; analyze related proposals and prepare recommendations; present recommendations to Parks and Recreation Commission or the City Council.
7. Plan, organize, and inspect the maintenance and operation of City parks, swimming pools, and other assigned City facilities to ensure compliance with departmental, City and other applicable standards.
8. Respond to citizensí requests for information and complaints with respect to City parks and recreational facilities and programs; ensure appropriate follow-up action is taken.
9. Represent the City in various capacities; actively participate in community and government organizations to foster a positive City image; communicate with news media representatives as appropriate.
10. Prepare routine and special reports regarding Parks & Recreation Department operations and development plans, as requested by City management, the City Council, or the Parks and Recreation Commission.
11. Promote heightened awareness of parks and recreation presenting a positive image to citizens, tourists, area schools, regional and state agencies and the business community.
|Qualifications:||Comprehensive working knowledge of current principles and practices used in the administration of comprehensive City-wide parks and recreational programs.|
Sound working knowledge of general management principles; applicable state, city, and federal regulations/guidelines pertaining to areas of responsibility; and overall city operations, including budgeting procedures.
General knowledge of planning, developing, and construction recreational facilities and grounds.
Ability to establish and maintain professionally effective relationships with external publics/vendors, internal management and non-management employees, news media personnel, and City and other government officials.
Excellent communication (verbal and written) and analytical skills.
PLEASE NOTE: The deadline to apply for this position is 2/25/2019 at 5:00 PM
Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet computer software; ability to operate computer and other standard office equipment.
Bachelorís degree with major coursework in recreation administration, landscape architecture, business administration, public administration, engineering or related field. Masterís degree or additional formal education desired.
Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Parks and Recreation Executive (CPRE) desired.
7+ years responsible supervisory or managerial experience in the administration of parks or recreational facilities and programs; or any combination of education and experience that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Valid Class C Texas driverís license.
PLEASE NOTE: The deadline for applications for this position is 2/25/2019 at 5:00 PM
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.