Kennel Technician Supervisor- Pflugerville Animal Welfare Services
|Salary Range:||$15.13/hr - $17.40/hr|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Pflugerville Animal Welfare Center|
|Description:||Facilitates the Pflugerville Animal Welfare Services shelter through effective supervision, training, and direction of assigned personnel; manage the resources and equipment to carry out the work required to maintain the animal shelter, the animals in the shelter, in a manner that will minimize stress on the animals and provide quality of care of the animals.|
Supervise Kennel Technicians in carrying out daily activities; performs work typically assigned to subordinates, as necessary. Exercise considerable judgment and initiative. Interfaces most frequently with department personnel, volunteers and the general public; occasionally interfaces with other agencies, non-profits, and other City departments.
|Duties:||1. Supervise and provide direction to assigned personnel; assign and review work of Kennel Techs; train Kennel Techs; complete performance evaluations; make recommendations regarding hiring and terminating the employment of assigned personnel; recommend and administer disciplinary action.|
2. Train and mentor new Kennel Techs and volunteers.
3. Oversee and work alongside Kennel Techs to clean and maintain the shelter facility and provide care for shelter animals.
4. Oversee and assist Kennel Techs with administering required medications and vaccinations and notifies Director of animals showing symptoms of illness or injury.
5. Develop, recommend, and implement operating procedures to enhance the effectiveness of shelter operations.
6. Ensure Kennel Techs comply with established operating standards and procedures, especially with regard to safety.
7. Maintain equipment and vehicles used by Kennel Techs in a safe and effective operating condition. Report unsafe or inoperable equipment to Director.
8. Manage all supplies (including medications, food, and peripheral items) needed to maintain the animal shelter and animals in it.
9. Supervise facility upkeep including scheduled and unscheduled maintenance to meet state, county and local requirements. Advise Director of necessary maintenance needed that requires special equipment or expertise.
10. Request as needed the ordering of an adequate supply of all necessary cleaning supplies, maintenance supplies, and animal supplies.
11. Prepare and submit required reports as directed by Director.
12. May perform any or all duties of Kennel Tech as needed.
|Qualifications:||Ability to work with direct minimum supervision and to follow verbal and written directions.|
Sound working knowledge related to the operation and maintenance of the animal shelter facility.
Ability to motivate and lead others in performing job duties.
Ability to supervise, organize, schedule, delegate, train, review and evaluate work assigned.
Ability to learn technical concepts and procedures related to work requirements.
Knowledge of all Federal, State, and Local guidelines pertaining to animal shelter facilities and animal care to include but not limited to the Health & Safety Code, Standards on animal shelter facilities as described in the Veterinarian Board and the shelter policy.
Sound knowledge of symptoms of diseases commonly seen in shelter animals.
Good communication skills (verbal and written), organizational skills, and record-keeping/analytical skills.
Ability to safely operate and maintain assigned City vehicles, radio and other communication devices, animal handling equipment, office equipment, and grounds equipment.
Ability to use computer and related word-processing, spreadsheet, and data base software.
High school diploma or equivalent experience.
2 years’ experience working with animals, supervisory experience, or some combination of experience and training that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities preferred.
Valid Class C Texas driver’s license.
Vet tech experience or certification preferred.