Capital Improvement Program Manager
|Salary Range:||$46,088.90 - $59,915.45/annually, DoE|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Public Works & Engineering Dept|
|Description:||Under the general direction of the City Engineer, this position performs professional administrative work coordinating project development and program planning of capital projects in the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP). Work involves coordination of a variety of program and project management activities including the development of project schedules; implementation of project plans to assist project managers with the timely execution of deliverables; assistance with budget development and monitoring activities; maintenance of project data into a project management reporting system; and coordination of grants and agreements associated with projects and other various agreements/contracts between the City and outside entities. |
This position requires being able to think strategically and exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment.
|Duties:||Capital Improvement & Program/Project Management Responsibilities|
1. Manages the design engineer selection process.
2. Responsible for maintaining a list of qualified design engineering firms interested in performing work for the City.
3. Responsible for the preparation of Request for Proposals for Public Works CIP projects with the assistance of the project manager and other technical experts.
4. Responsible for posting RFQs in newspapers and on the City’s website, and assisting in recruiting engineering design firms to perform work for the City.
5. Manages the screening and interview process for selection of a design professional.
6. Participates in the preparation and negotiation of engineering agreements, supplemental engineering agreements, and construction contracts; and reviews for completeness and accuracy.
7. Coordinates the review of engineering and construction contracts with legal staff, ACMs, and City Secretary.
8. Prepare CIP Engineering Department agenda items and presentation materials for City Council meetings.
9. Develop, monitor, and manage milestone schedules for all engineering contracts.
10. Maintain database of CIP information.
11. Assists with CIP Engineering Department reporting including special City Council status reports, Significant Activity reports, and other ad-hoc reports as necessary.
12. May review work products of others to ensure compliance with procedures, and state and federal regulations.
13. Manages the preparation of a communication plan for each program project.
14. Coordinates the public involvement opportunities for each program project.
15. Defines and implements performance measures for design professionals and contractors to evaluate performance and quality of work for the City.
16. Meets with neighborhood groups, civic organizations and the general public as needed to provide information about the CIP projects.
17. Conducts technical and legal research, prepares reports, and prepares correspondence concerning the CIP; and maintains records.
18. Provides technical assistance to department staff for computer software applications, budgeting, and other issues.
19. Participates in the annual preparation of a 5 year CIP, and annual budgets.
20. Collaborates with the Finance Department on program planning, budgeting, and expenditure tracking.
21. May Review and recommend for approval monthly invoices, pay estimates, and other billings for program projects.
22. May review expenditure tracking; and monitor budget status for program projects.
23. Coordinate responses to inquiries and requests from residents, and other divisions about the capital improvement program.
24. Coordinate information for CIP Engineering Department projects with the City’s Public Information Officer.
25. Manage all web site development activities for project information.
26. Communicate ideas and recommendations through verbal and written reports.
27. Coordinates grant opportunities with other governmental entities.
28. Process grant applications.
29. May assist with the administration of federal, state and local grant funds.
30. Coordinate CIP project funding requests with congressional delegations offices.
31. Monitor federal and state legislative initiatives with potential impact on Department functions and recommends implementation strategies.
Process Improvement and Other Responsibilities
32. Recommend new or modified business and technical procedures for streamlining and improving operational processes for CIP Engineering Department.
33. May plan, assign, train and/or supervise the work of others.
|Qualifications:||Extensive knowledge of program and project management methods and techniques.|
Extensive knowledge of applicable governmental laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances.
Extensive knowledge of contract administration procedures including procedures and policies for public works contract requirements.
Extensive knowledge of municipal budgeting processes and procedures.
Extensive knowledge of computer skills (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, Outlook, Web Authoring Tools and Mapping Tools are a plus)
Knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and public bidding process.
Knowledge of effective planning and coordination techniques.
Knowledge of supervisory and management techniques.
Skill in gathering, processing and analyzing data.
Skill in resolving problems or situations.
Ability to handle multiple priorities.
Ability to perform research.
Ability to communicate technical information effectively to contractors and the public, both orally and in writing.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major course work in construction management, engineering, business, public administration or a related field and five (5) years of experience conducting activities related to capital improvements in a governmental agency.
Other combinations of formal education and experience may substitute for the minimum qualifications.
Possession of a valid Class C Texas Driver’s license.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.