Animal Control Officer
|Salary Range:||$12.51 - $14.38/hr|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Pflugerville Animal Welfare Center|
|Description:||Provides efficient animal services by enforcing City ordinances and state laws governing the care and keeping of domestic animals and by efficiently operating the Cityís animal shelter. |
Carries out duties in accordance with established policies and procedures; exercises moderate levels of independent judgment, discretion, and initiative in the interpretation of related ordinances and laws. Interacts frequently with external public and department personnel.
|Duties:||1. Patrol, capture and impound domestic animals and non-domestic animals that are not appropriately restrained or that are creating nuisances or health/safety hazards, as prescribed by City ordinances and the Texas Department of Health: place traps to capture problem animals.|
2. Investigate reported complaints regarding animal abuse, animal bite instances, animal nuisances, and other violations of City ordinances and state laws; issue warnings and citations for violations: take appropriate action, including the issuance of warnings and citations as appropriate.
3. Provide for the humane care and feeding of animals received; maintain the animal shelter and grounds as necessary in a safe and sanitary manner; ensure adequate food is dispensed on a daily basis; provide or obtain appropriate treatment for wounded/sick animals; clean facility and grounds on an as needed basis.
4. Prepare required reports and apply for seizure warrants as needed.
5. Act as City liaison to public agencies and community organizations concerned with animal issues: provide support and assistance as applicable.
6. Quarantine animals suspected of biting for rabies observation. Euthanatize and remove heads of possible rabid animals and transport lab specimens to Texas Department of Health.
7. Maintain animal services equipment and vehicles: implement routine schedule of required maintenance; repair or schedule the repair/replacement of faulty equipment.
8. Maintain required inventories of supplies, materials, and equipment: prepare requisitions; make purchases as necessary.
9. Train other personnel as required.
10. Present training on rabies awareness, bite prevention and animal care at schools, civic groups and other groups.
11. Euthanize animals when required.
12. Maintain accurate records and prepare routine and special reports regarding all aspects of duties, as specified by department or City management.
|Qualifications:||Sound working knowledge of: (1) safe and effective animal collection and impoundment techniques and practices; (2) City ordinances and state laws relating to areas of responsibility; (3) various breeds of dogs, cats, other domestic animals, and livestock.|
Ability to establish and maintain professionally effective relationships with department management and non-management employees and to interface effectively with general public.
Good communication (verbal and written), organization, and record-keeping/analytical skills.
Ability to safely operate and maintain assigned City vehicles, radio and other communication devices, animal euthanasia equipment, office equipment, and animal capture and handling equipment, etc.
Ability to use computer and related word-processing, spreadsheet, and data base software.
High school diploma or equivalent experience.
1+ yearís experience working with animals, or some combination of experience and training that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities and satisfies state requirements preferred.
State Animal Control Certification within 9 months of hire.
Valid Class C Texas driverís license.
Euthanasia certification preferred.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.