Admin Tech/911 Call Taker (Police)
|Salary Range:||$13.76 - $15.82/hour|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Under close supervision, responsible for receiving calls for emergency and police service, and entering accurate and concise data into the Computer Aided Dispatch computer system.|
Carries out duties in accordance with established policies and procedures. Exercises limited-to-moderate independent judgment, discretion, and initiative in the performance of duties. Interacts frequently with external public and department personnel.
|Duties:||1. Coordinates communication between the public and a police dispatcher, investigator, or other law enforcement personnel by screening & transferring calls.|
2. Carry out duties with accuracy and speed under pressure of time-sensitivity.
3. Receives emergency and non-emergency calls from the public: provide directions, information or other assistance, as requested.
4. Provide administrative support to Dispatch, Admin personnel, and others as assigned.
5. Must be able to communicate information/directions effectively & in a courteous manner.
6. Must be able to work in a high-paced environment and multi-task work in an efficient manner.
7. Other duties, as assigned by department management.
|Qualifications:||- Knowledge of the operations of a Police Emergency Communications Center.|
- Knowledge of multi-line PBX phone, basic computer skills, fax machine, printer, copier, TDD/TTY (Telecommunication Device for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing) equipment.
- Perform TLETS operations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Ability to work in close quarters and to wear a telephone headset.
- Ability to apply telephone interviewing techniques.
- Ability to quickly and accurately obtain appropriate information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including a computer, telephone, general office equipment, etc.
- Must be able to exert up to ten pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of ten to twenty pounds
- Graduation from high school or equivalent. Must be able to obtain TCLEOSE Certification within one (1) year of employment, and TCIC/NCIC certification within six (6) months of employment.
- Must be able to pass a police department background investigation.
- 40 hours per week; various working hour shifts, as assigned; will work weekends and holidays; overtime occasionally required.
- Frequently stressful working environment