The Assistant Finance Director supports in the management and oversight of the Finance Department, which includes: accounting, budgeting, payroll, purchasing, accounts payable, treasury, debt management, performance measure management, and financial reporting and transparency. This position provides support for the development and implementation of sound fiscal management policies and procedures across the city ensuring that management, regulatory, and other financial reporting requirements are met and all fiscal obligations are fulfilled.
Under limited supervision, the Assistant Finance Director contributes to the management of department activities and services, coordinating work plans and personnel needs; overseeing various accounting and financial management functions; and interfacing with other City employees, consultants, and citizens.
1. Assists in the management of department services and activities by providing support for the preparation and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies and procedures, coordinating various accounting and financial activities with department employees and communicating with the City Manager, City Council, Finance Director, department heads, and other City employees on financial issues.
2. Designs work flows, work plans, and accounting systems in accordance with recognized accounting principles, internal controls, and best practices and monitors those systems to ensure their continued effectiveness.
3. Oversees the compilation, analysis, preparation, and interpretation of financial and other data into reports for the public, city management, and other entities as scheduled or requested.
4. Administers the Cityís financial transparency reporting program.
5. Supervises and hires staff to ensure effective and efficient operations; assigns, schedules, and reviews work; delivers or provides for work-related training/education; completes performance evaluations; and conducts counseling and takes disciplinary measures, as required.
6. Provides support and makes recommendations to the Finance Director by researching requirements and trends related to complex financial decisions, new accounting standards, operational practices, and policies.
7. Conducts special projects, coordinating the selection and engagement of outside consultants as necessary.
8. Attends City Council and other committee or organization meetings as necessary.
9. May assume the duties of the Finance Director in her/his absence.
10. Other related duties as requested.
Comprehensive knowledge of government accounting, budgeting, and finance processes and practices; applicable accounting principles, standards, and best practices, and governing federal and state laws and regulations.
Excellent organization, communication (verbal and written), and supervisory skills.
Ability to interface professionally with external public, vendors/consultants, internal management and non-management employees, and City and other government officials.
Proficiency with applicable computer equipment and software, including Incode, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
Bachelorís degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Municipal Finance, or related field.
7+ years increasingly responsible experience in municipal finance/accounting; supervisory experience.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO), Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) or similar certification required.