Special Events Coordinator
|Salary Range:||$20.14/hr - $23.17/hr, DoE|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department:||Parks & Recreation|
|Description:||Performs advanced communications work. Work involves writing, editing, and production of informational materials for programs and citywide special events. Work involves coordinating web development, social media and activities for the Parks & Recreation Department. May assist in the planning, coordination and promotion of parks and recreation programs. Work involves coordinating a variety of marketing and outreach efforts for the Department and city tourism initiatives. Coordinates, manages and organizes city major events and festivals. May coordinate the work of others. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Partners with City Managerís Office on communications initiatives and announcements. Performs other related work as required.|
Functions as an individual contributor with respect to public information programs; functions as a planner and coordinator for several festivals and events; must apply a significant degree of initiative and independent judgement; interfaces frequently with City management, City staff and volunteers to present recommendations for web communications and City sponsored events. Primary duty consists of performing work directly related to the general business operations of the City.
|Duties:||1. Coordinates and oversees special event preparation and marketing/promotional activities for the Parks and Recreation Department to include, but not limited to: Pfirecracker Pfestival, Deutschen Pfest, Christmas Parade and Pfestival of Lights, Music in the Park, Spring Pfling, Chili Pfest and other events as assigned.|
2. Serves as liaison to special event volunteers and community organizations.
3. Serves on city communications team to promote Parks and Recreation activities and coordinates messages for the media and public about Department programs, events and initiatives.
4. Establishes and implements short- and long-range communications goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures for Parks and Recreation Department.
5. Consults with and advises Parks and Recreation Department staff about public information options and programs.
6. Oversees the preparation, editing, proofreading and distribution of informational publications for the Parks and Recreation Department.
7. Documents department special events and programs with photography and videography as needed.
8. Measures the effectiveness of Department marketing, communication programs and strategies by conducting and analyzing surveys and studies to determine the marketing programís effectiveness.
9. Develops and maintains Parks and Recreation web pages, website content and social media profiles for the Department. Analyzes the Departmentís existing web pages for usability and effectiveness; assists in preparing graphics and online page layout.
10. Designs and implements new and/or revised processes that effectively meet the needs of the Department.
11. Implements city tourism initiatives by establishing relationships with neighboring hotels, attends statewide tourism conferences and oversees implementation of the cityís tourism plan.
12. Oversees Texas Film Commission film friendly program for the city to coordinate with film crews and producers interested in filming in Pflugerville.
13. Assists with budget preparation for special events and marketing initiatives for the Parks and Recreation Department.
14. May plan, assign, train and/or supervise the work of others.
15. Performs related work as assigned.
|Qualifications:||Knowledge of current marketing practices, governing laws, and market reporting procedures.|
Knowledge and skill in the development and administration of recreation programs and special events.
Knowledge of policies, and procedures; of news and communication media; of editing and preparing informational material; of copy layout; graphic design and publishing.
Ability to research and prepare information, design communication plans and materials related to the goals and priorities of the Department.
Ability to use content management tool to design web pages and compose content for the Web including scheduling, testing and updating dynamic web pages.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Ability to handle multiple projects.
Ability to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Nextdoor).
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in communications, recreation, business administration, marketing or a related field is preferred.
Three to five years of experience in recreation/event planning and/or communications.
Government and/or municipal experience is preferred.
Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in recreational programs or special events.
Class C Texas Driverís License or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.