Kennel Technician- Part-Time
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Description:||To maintain the animal shelter, its environment, minimize animal stress and provide a high quality of stay for the animals.|
Feed, water, exercise animals daily. Sanitize entire facility on a daily basis. Perform basic maintenance as needed to maintain the animal shelter facility in good working order. Assists with overall welfare of the animals coming into the animal shelter facility. Enhancing the quality of life for the animals during their stay at the facility. Promote a positive image and working relationship with the public, in which we serve.
|Duties:||1. Clean and disinfect all kennels, cages, outdoor kennels and portable carries used. Feed and water all shelter animals as required. Interact with, walk and exercise all animals. |
2. Assists with intake of animals, administering of required medications, relocating animals from stray to adoption areas as needed, reclaims and assisting perspective adopters as requested.
3. Clean and disinfect all used feeding bowls, utensils, and bedding.
4. Clean and maintain all facility buildings as required to project a professional image at all times.
5. Maintain and request as needed the ordering of an adequate supply of all necessary feed, medications, cleaning supplies and maintenance supplies (gloves, disinfecting cleaners, weed killer, laundry soap, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.)
6. Perform necessary maintenance as needed. (Outdoor kennels, weed eat grass, apply weed killer, apply ant killer, wrap pipes, etc.). Advise supervisor of necessary maintenance needed that requires special equipment or expertise. (Main sewer line stoppage, electrical work, etc.)
7. Maintains records on all animals in departmental software and on required forms.
8. Provides vaccinations, medications and basic first aid/medical care to all animals. Includes use of needles and animal restraint techniques/equipment.
9. Provides quality customer service to city staff, the general public, and all other work contacts.
|Qualifications:||Follow all Federal, State, and Local guidelines pertaining to animal shelter facilities and animal care to include but not limited to the Health & Safety Code, Standards on animal shelter facilities as described in the Veterinarian Board and the Pflugerville Daily Shelter Operations Manual as written and supplied by the Pflugerville Police Department. |
Ability to establish and maintain professionally effective relationships with department management and non-management employees and to interface effectively with general public.
Good communication (verbal and written), organization, and record-keeping/analytical skills.
Ability to safely operate and maintain assigned City vehicles, radio and other communication devices, animal euthanasia equipment, office equipment, computers, software, etc.
High school diploma or equivalent experience.
1+ yearís experience working with animals, or some combination of experience and training that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities and satisfies state requirements.
Valid Class C Texas driverís license.
Euthanasia certificate may be required