Communications/Public Information Office Intern - Part-time
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
|Description:||Support Public Information Office Staff in marketing and promotional efforts and city special event coordination. This position is intended for a college student or professional who desires part-time experience in government, marketing and communications.|
Position is limited to 2 to 5 days a week for an academic semester with work hours to be determined between Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5 p.m and weekends, nights and special events.
|Duties:||1. Assist with planning of citywide festivals to include Pfirecracker Pfestival, Music in the Park, Chili Pfest, and other special City events.|
2. Assist with processing event vendor applications, payments and phone calls related to special events.
3. Use Internet to recommend and research vendors, musicians for city festivals and events.
4. Greet customers in front office area and assist with telephone calls from the public.
5. Attend event planning meetings and communications department meetings.
6. Assist with special event setup as necessary and work a shift during city festivals.
7. Take pictures at special events and of city programs.
8. Solicit schools, churches, community groups, businesses, government agencies and other organizations to participate in community events, parades, 5Ks, and other City events.
9. Assist with media relations capturing media clips and researching online coverage.
10. Use content management tool to update city websites.
11. Work with businesses to gather sponsorship of events and help maintain sponsorship relationships.
12. Oversee production of employee e-newsletter.
13. Assist with preparing presentations for the Parks and Recreation Commission
14. Other duties as assigned.
Currently enrolled in college or recently graduated. Degree plan in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or related field is required.
Demonstrated desire to promote and coordinate special events.
Demonstrated familiarity with AP Writing Style- press release writing experience is required.
Willingness to work some weekends as needed to participate in City Special Events.
Experience with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel. Comfortable with Internet and Email
Adobe Photoshop experience
Social media experience- Facebook, Twitter, and other online platforms a plus.
Videography or photography experience, or graphic design abilities a plus.
The ideal candidate will have familiarity with the City of Pflugerville and its annual festivals and events.
Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as customer service skills.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.