Building Inspector I
|Salary Range:||$16.65-$21.64, DOE|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Ensures compliance with City ordinances and codes by reviewing commercial and residential construction plans and inspecting assigned projects|
Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with clearly established departmental policies & procedures, City codes and ordinances, and state and federal regulations. Interfaces extensively with external builders, engineers, architects, developers, and sub-contractors. Frequently interfaces with City management and other City employees.
|Duties:||1. Review residential and commercial plans for compliance with city ordinances, model codes, and state and federal requirements; compile written reports of plan reviews.|
2. Conduct on-site inspections, as required by model codes and ordinances; file written reports of each inspection.
3. Receive and evaluate building plans; ensure submitted packets contain completed application forms and correct number of copies.
4. Address questions from citizens, builders, sub-contractors, engineers, architects, developers, and others regarding permit requirements, code requirements, and inspection requests.
5. Inspect for compliance and enforce the City's Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, and codes; communicate in writing with property owners.
6. Issue permits as necessary.
7. Prepare reports for Building Official and other City management/City Council as requested.
|Qualifications:||Sound working knowledge of model codes, state and federal laws governing building construction.|
Ability to establish and maintain professionally effective relationships with external public, vendors, internal management and non-management employees, and City and other government officials.
Good communication (verbal and written) skills; ability to effectively communicate technical information to varying audiences.
Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and deadlines.
Excellent organization skills, with ability to apply considerable attention to detail.
Ability to operate assigned City vehicles in accordance with safe and effective driving practices.
High school diploma or equivalent
Valid, Class C TX Drivers License
0 to 2 years experience directly related to construction, construction inspection, or construction related education.
Must attain Texas State Plumbing Inspectors License within first 6 months of employment.
Must attain ICC Residential Combination Inspector certification within first year of employment.